Is there an International Airport in Goa?
Goa is a tropical gem on the West Coast of India. It sits with pride on every traveller’s bucket list. Travellers can easily access Goa as it has an international airport. Yes, you heard it right. The city has one international airport at this moment. It is the Dabolim Airport, commonly known as the Goa International Airport. Thus, foreign and domestic travellers fly to the state without trouble. Let’s dive into everything you need to know when flying solo to the state without any further ado.
Where is Dabolim Airport in Goa?
Dabolim Airport is in Dabolim in Mormugao, South Goa. The airport is at a distance of 30 kilometres from the capital city of Goa, Panaji. It is operated as a civil enclave, i.e., it is used for civil and military purposes. This is why you will find extreme level security at Goa International Airport (GOI).
How to reach the airport
You can reach the airport smoothly from anywhere in Goa. The airport is in such a location that travellers can easily access it. There are many taxi and shuttle services available 24×7 to reach the airport. However, it is better to hire a taxi beforehand to avoid any last-minute problems. Ask your driver to pull up to the correct terminal whether your flight is domestic or international.
What are the facilities you get at Dabolim Airport?
Now let’s look at what facilities you get at Dabolim Airport. The airport is built on 1,700 acres. It has two terminals.
- The airport has a modern baggage scanning system.
- You can exchange currencies at both terminals of the airport. But I suggest everyone not to exchange money at the airport, as there are better rates you will find in different places in Goa.
- You can access the State Bank of India and Axis Bank ATMs between the two terminals.
- The Goa International Airport provides free baggage trolleys to the passengers.
- There is only one restaurant before security at the airport where you can get meals.
- There is duty-free at the international terminal.
- The airport is well equipped with medical facilities. Even baby care facilities are available at this airport.
- Sadly, there’s no free Wi-Fi at the airport.
- Another thing that the airport lacks is a rest zone.
- You will face no issue with parking, as the airport has demarcated a large area outside as a parking zone.
Tips for arrival and departure
Goa has become my second home. Taking flights in and out of the state has taught me quite a few things about the airport. So here are some of my tips you can keep in mind for arrival and departure.
- Once you arrive at the airport, a bus service will take you to the terminals.
- Then the very next thing you will have to do is pass through custom controls and submit your arrival card.
- You can book a taxi from the terminal. The rates are non-negotiable as they are government-approved. To be honest, this saves you from common scams while boarding a taxi.
- If you are boarding an international flight, please make sure to reach the airport 4 hours before. But if you’re travelling within the country, you only have to reach 2 hours before departure.
Distance from major tourist places in Goa
The location of Dabolim Airport is its biggest perk. The airport is right in the middle of the state. Therefore, it makes it easier for everyone to travel on their arrival.
Vasco Da Gama – is the nearest city to the airport. You will only have to travel 4 kilometres to reach this city from the airport. You can start your vacation from this very spot.
Panaji – You can easily hit up the capital city, as Panaji is precisely 27.7 kilometres from the airport.
Baga Beach – one of Goa’s popular beaches, is only 41.8 kilometres from the airport. An easy one-and-a-half-hour drive, and you will be sitting on the sand and watching the Arabian Sea.
Colva beach – It is at a distance of 23.4 kilometres from the airport.
Arambol Beach – the hippie’s place is at 59.2 kilometres. If you’re not tired after the flight, you can head straight to Arambol.
Dudhsagar Waterfalls – One of the major tourist destinations of Goa—it is a dream of many to catch a glimpse of this waterfall. The best part, you will have to travel 70 kilometres only from the airport to reach here.
Quick facts about Dabolim Airport
- By passenger movements, the Dabolim Airport is India’s 10th busiest airport. This is mainly because of the presence of military aviation.
- The IATA code is GOI. IATA is a three-letter code provided by the International Air Transport Association.
- You will see there are restrictions on runway use for civilian flights. This is primarily because of the military training which takes place here.
Is there any other international airport in Goa?
Goa being a favourite destination for travellers, receives massive footfalls. It is not only a tourist hub but also a place of business. Hence, people keep flying in the city daily. This also results in a hike in traffic at Dabolim airport. Thus another airport at Mopa is currently under construction. With this airport’s inauguration, the passengers’ load will be divided. If everything goes as planned, the inauguration is supposed to occur in August of this year.
I hope this brings an end to your worries regarding flying to the state. I am sure you will have a smooth experience at GOI. You can take a look here at the taxi services for a hassle-free mode of travel. In case you have more queries, write them in the comment section. I am more than happy to help.
If you want help planning your solo vacation in Goa, you can also go through other posts on my blog.
An introverted blogger who is looking to make unforgettable solo travel memories with one short life.