How to Reach Aguada Fort in Goa
Once you know how to reach Goa, you won’t have trouble accessing the Aguada fort. You can reach the fort easily by car, rented vehicle, or public transport. The Aguada fort is near Candolim in North Goa, located 17 kilometres away from the state’s capital, Panjim. If you’re in Goa, this place must be on your list of must-visit places in Goa. Keep reading to put an end to all your queries regarding Aguada fort.
1. Aguada Fort – an extraordinary creation of the Portuguese
Aguada Fort was one of the prized possession of Portuguese rulers, especially because of its strategic location. The fort is where the Mandovi River merges into the Arabian Sea. And thus, it gave the Portuguese an upper hand in protecting their territory from Maratha and Dutch enemies.
2. Do you know what makes the fort stand out even now?
It is the lethal combination of architecture and views of the never-ending stretch of the Arabian Sea. Besides the rich historical significance, you’ll be amazed by the fort’s striking architecture. The military-style architecture shows how skilled the Portuguese were.
Additionally, if you love to capture moments, this place is a playground for you, as the views from here are amazing. So if you’re visiting this fort, do not forget to carry your lenses and charge your gadgets beforehand!
3. All the ways to reach Aguada Fort
In this blog, I have discussed all possible ways that you can avail yourself of reaching the fort. Read further to find the most suitable and convenient way to reach the fort.
Reach Aguada Fort by rented vehicle
Rented vehicles are the best mode of transportation to explore Goa, in my opinion. So if you are a licensed driver and know how to ride or drive, you’re sorted. The roads leading to the fort are all in excellent condition. Thus, you can easily drive to the Aguada fort. If you’re travelling from Panaji, it’ll take around 40 minutes to reach the fort in 15 kilometres. And in case you’re at the heart of North Goa, you’ll have to drive via NH 748 to reach your destination.
Reach Aguada Fort by using public transport
Another way to reach Aguada Fort is by availing of public transport. Yes, you heard right. Although by using buses, you can only reach up to the foothill of the fort. If budget is not an issue, I suggest you take a cab to the fort. However, if you’re travelling on a budget, you should opt for public buses.
Reach Aguada Fort from Goa International Airport
If you want to reach Aguada Fort directly from the Goa International Airport, there are ways too. You can pre-book a taxi online or hire one on the spot from the airport. There are several buses as well that operates between these two points. So choose according to your convenience. And remember, the fort is 40 kilometres away from the airport. Therefore, it will take you around an hour or more to reach the fort, depending on the traffic.
Reach Aguada Fort via railways
The two major railway stations of Goa – Margao and Vasco da Gama are far from the fort. If you’re planning to visit the Aguada Fort straightway after reaching Goa, I suggest you opt for the Vasco da Gama station. You can avail a taxi from the station and reach the fort within 40 minutes.
4. Entry fee and best time to visit the fort
There was no entry fee before some time, but not anymore! Indian tourists have to pay around Rs. 25 as an entry fee. And if you’re from a foreign country, you must pay Rs. 300 for the entry. However, keep in mind that these charges can change in the future.
The fort is open throughout the week from 9:30 am to 6:30 pm. It will take you about two hours to explore the fort. So, plan your visit according to your schedule. And if possible, wait till the sunset. It is one of the best sunset spots I have come across in Goa!
5. Things to explore in and around Aguada Fort
- On your visit to the Aguada Fort, do not miss out on the top attractions of the place. Take your time and explore the iconic lighthouse, the ammunition room, the prison cell, and one of Asia’s biggest water reservoirs.
- If you have enough time, pay a quick visit to the nearby Church of St. Lawerence. It is approximately 1 kilometre away from the fort.
- To unleash your adventurous side, visit the Sinquerim beach nearby and indulge in watersport activities. And if being adventurous is not your thing, you can always opt for meditation and relaxation sessions on the beach.
- If you love collecting local souvenirs like me, visit the Chaku Arts and crafts on your way back from the fort. They sell the best wood-carved souvenirs in Goa.
- If you’re hungry after exploring the fort, check out some amazing restaurants nearby that serve authentic Goan food.
And with that, we have come to the end of the blog. I hope this blog helps you to decide how to reach Aguada Fort in Goa. Do not wait any longer. Pack your bags and go for a solo trip to Goa. Trust me. It will be an experience for a lifetime!
If you are wondering what other forts you can visit in Goa, you can check out my post on must-visit forts in Goa.
To better understand Goa, you can read my article on the ultimate solo travel guide to Goa. I’m sure it’ll give you all the insights you want.
An introverted blogger who is looking to make unforgettable solo travel memories with one short life.